<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Wednesday, April 28, 2004

This post will test your neck... your back... your...* 

Fitz-Hume at Begging the Question had an interesting analysis of Bush, the perception he's a fool and specifically his troubled speaking (which he, I think correctly, points out often translates to clear, simple, confident speaking for some of the population). Also see the follow-up at the Hobbesian Conservative. As a side note, I find this type of measured and admitted assessment of your own side's weaknesses a pleasant read and, as someone who believes himself to be highly objective (is it subjective to say that?), allows me to take your arguments more seriously. But thats a side note.

It just reminded me of what I used to say about the “Bush is dum” rhetoric (ok, just cuz i'm objective doesn't mean I can't make jokes). While I'm sure family connections helped him get into Ivy League schools (faintly in the background, Jeb’s son George holds his UT Austin diploma wimpering…”grandfather... president. uncle... president. father... governor. what the hell went wrong…"), he did attend top schools. He’s obviously not dumb.

Hobbesian Conservative said "He talks like I talk. He may stammer a bit here and there-- you would too if you knew how many million people were watching you"
I agree. I’m sure I’d probably sound like Bush If I had to speak to America. And I consider myself pretty smart (that's pretty smart not pretty, smart, but objectively that may be true too, objectively). But I'm not sure I'm smart enough to be president (I preemptively redact that comment if I actually run for president). Same with Bush, he’s not really really very smart. And I like my presidents super, top percentile, unquestionably smart. Clinton was definitely there, Bush Sr. was right up there, Carter had it, Scalia is too (ok, so he’s not a president but I was trying to keep it balanced, ya know- being objective and all, and I’m too young to judge the intelligence of any pre-Carter presidents). I feel the same about Bush's work habits. While I think America as a whole should take more time off (Europe-style), I feel pretty ok having a double standard for the work habits of my president. You become head of the free-world (sorry Greenspan) and I think you agree to work late and take less vacation for a few years.

*(reference to highly intelligent, completely non-offensive Khia lyrics. Don't ya wish Dennis Miller provided astericks? Don't ya wish he didn't suddenly get ultra-conservative? Did he unknowningly drink Rush Limbaugh's kool-aid when they crossed paths at their Monday Night Football auditions?)

Comments: Post a Comment