<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Thursday, April 15, 2004

Nauru: What a wacky island 

I just read this post about Nauru's bankruptcy at Crescat Sententia. Back in December, This American Life had a story on Nauru (it was the same episode that had their most popular story ever on phone company customer service- do a search for Nauru or the Dec. 5, 2003 episode). I'm sure this was blogged on at CS (the archives weren't all available when I looked) but I've got my own story!! So I walked into school the Monday after the TAL episode and found out that my friend had heard the story and decided he wanted to find out how far up the chain of command he could get on an island of only 12,000. So posing as the president of a made up group (I think "Students for Holding the United States Accountable") he emailed the government there and requested an interview with the President (or whatever Nauru has). While it would be a better story if he'd gotten to talk to them, he was quite pleased with getting taken seriously (though eventually brushed off) by the scheduler for the president (or, again, whatever they have).

Comments: Post a Comment